July 30, 2008

So it begins

I never used to care about politics. But Jim Prentice managed to do what no other politician was able to do. Turn me into a political activist.

On Saturday, December 8, 2007 I drove down to Calgary for a rally(1,2) being held at Jim Prentice Constituency Office to protest bill C-61. I really did not think much of it. I had the time and the gas for the drive down so why not go?

Bill C-61 got delayed for a time and I figure my job was done. I was now able to respond to those people who constantly complain about politics and smugly reply "why don't you do something about it?"

That was enough for me. I figured I would leave the rest of politics to more capable hands then mine. I did my part.

Then those more capable hands came to me and suggested I created a local Edmonton chapter for Fair Copyright for Canada.

Apparently I was not even close to doing my part.


1 comment:

Kempton said...

In an age where voters aren't willing to drive/walk two minutes to their nearby polling stations a few blocks down the street to exercise their rights to vote, your time effort alone (and thats is not including the gas money you pay) sets an example that should be inspiring to many people. I was certainly touched when I heard you drove 3 hours or so from Edmonton to Calgary just so that you can tell Minister Prentice in person how you think the Copyright amendment is wrong and bad for Canada.

Cory: you and others from Edmonton who drove all the way down to Calgary and others in Calgary and surrounding areas who come to voice your opinions are wonderful examples of the "thoughtful and committed people" I have in mind when I often quote Margaret Mead.

Here is the quote,

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
- Margaret Mead